Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Swim Trials and Trials in Swimming


Self-portrait taken as proof that I had begun my swimming regime

It is timely that the swim trials are in town. Although not part of my training plan, the feats of these swimmers in Omaha go hand in hand with my taking the competitive plunge as well. Yes, I am aware of the gap in level of competition between my goals and those of these potential Olympians; but a challenge for all of us no less. I've started my adulthood voyage into swimming and have quickly learned this to be a challenge.

As a seasoned runner and newly minted cyclist, I caught the triathlon bug and wanted to give it a try. Swimming is the only leg in the race that I lacked experience. I took lessons as a child and watched my own children endure years of swimming lessons. How hard could it be? As a child I was able to swim across the pool and back to gain access to play in the deep water (for the "real" story behind my past swimming refer to my blog, Swimming Pool Blues). After convincing myself that with some practice I could be amply ready for the Omaha Triathlon in August, I registered for this race. The next step was a trip to Scheel's to purchase the appropriate gear. Proper gear (and a cute suit) definitely boosts confidence.  I was now mentally set and ready to take on the water.

Triathlon Swim Training Step 1:  buy gear (check)
After staring at my new gear for a week, I finally rallied enough courage to take on my gym's pool. Going at 9:00 on a Saturday night was my strategy for avoiding the "real swimmers" in the lap pool. Certainly they all had lives that included more exciting things than swimming at Prairie Life on a Saturday night. With only one other adult in the second lane, I breathed a sigh of relief as I climbed in the water. Figuring out how to put on my gear, on the other hand, was not so easy. It took me a good five minutes to get the swim cap on and adjust my new goggles (a tip: wet hair = ease of cap placement, but dry hair = pulls every hair from deep at the root). Then I attempted my first lap. Not only did it feel unnatural and a struggle, I was gasping for air after two laps. Seriously? How can I run ten miles or bike fifty with ease, but can't make it across the pool and back without feeling like I need a breathing machine?

Convinced that I was doing something wrong, I got out of the water and reviewed the informational poster on the wall demonstrating the freestyle. With some new found knowledge, I decided to give it another try.  The guy in second lane looked on and was trying to figure out my story (fear of the water? out of shape? woman at the pool on Saturday night = has issues?). My second lap swim ended with the same result as my first. I was exhausted and felt like my lungs were full of a mix of water and pure chlorine. So after resigning myself to the paddle board for ten minutes to maintain my honor, I went home knowing I needed to come up with a Plan B for my training regime.

A revelation came to me on my drive home: my friend, Dan. Yes, he was exactly who I needed to connect with. Dan was a part of the Prairie Life swimming elites. I saw them consistently at the crack of dawn doing countless laps with ease. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be Dan. I needed a lesson and no doubt he would have the perfect recommendation. After some text exchanges, Dan pulled through with a great lead; a college swimmer home for the summer. Dan e-mailed her dad to facilitate our connecting, but the response wasn't as expected. "She went back to college to train, but I can sure help Sandy out," was the response. Very nice, very unexpected, and very much caused me a brief panic attack. Scott, this benevolent father, was one of the Prairie Life elites. In fact he was basically "the elite". No doubt this man who swam like an Olympian and helped train his talented daughters had no clue what he was signing up for. After responding with heartfelt thanks, but an explanation of my skill level (or lack thereof); Scott still volunteered to take a look at my stroke and help me assess next steps. With a bit of hesitation, Plan B was in the works.

Not only was our lesson a bit intimidating with Scott as my instructor, but it was also to occur at peak swim time at the gym. I prepared myself by watching countless YouTube videos on correct swim stroke and practiced in the pool a couple nights prior to our scheduled lesson. Game on...I was ready to take on Plan B (and at least not flail in front of the elites). So off I went under Scott's careful eye demonstrating my stroke and trying not to appear as out of breath as I felt. I am very thankful that a video camera was not used to record my swimming technique. By the look on Scott's face and those of the other swimmers, it was obvious that I needed some serious modifications. After Scott pointed out that I was putting on my swim cap sideways, I was beginning to wonder if this swimming gig was really for me. Then Scott said something that resonated like a breath of fresh air. "Sandy," he said, "everyone has to start somewhere."  He went on to explain that every good swimmer had their first time in the water, their first lesson, their first stroke.

I soon learned that a panic attack was unnecessary. Scott kindly and patiently gave me great pointers and worked on some skill training with me. The elites in the other lanes started chiming in their observations as well.  I was feeling like one of them and appreciative of their encouragement. The swim lesson was a blessing. I am certainly nowhere near ready for the triathlon, but I now know what to work on.  And I buy into the motto "we all have to start somewhere". There had to be a first time in the pool for Michael Phelps where someone told him to breathe, relax, and try not to flounder...right? Although I am sure this was at an earlier age for Michael as opposed to my maiden venture into competitive swimming at age 44, it doesn't matter. We all really do have to start somewhere.

I can now report that I can swim for a half a mile without being completely out of breath or showing visible signs of drowning. I am enjoying this new challenge and have been humbled by the skill and athleticism necessary for the sport. Watching the Swim Trials and the swimmers is nothing short of amazing. They fly through the water with ease and make the difficult and virtually impossible look effortless while inspiring all of us at the same time. I remind myself that they all had steps in their swimming advancement and probably employed many Plan B's in their training plans as well. With these reminders and some needed pool practice time; instead of fearing the challenge of the water, I now look forward to it. The timing of the Olympic Swim Trials and the Omaha venue was divine intervention in motivating me and pushing me to the pool. I will keep plugging away until my August race day.  Oh, and I now have a new motto since I feel that I have progressed a bit in my training..."you can teach an old dog new tricks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment