Monday, July 16, 2012

My Favorite Surprise



"We do not remember days, we remember moments." ~ Cesare Pavese

There have been very few times in my life that I have been surprised. I mean, really surprised. That moment of confusion when you are unsure of what's going on around you. Time seems to stop as your brain tries to catch up to real life. I was the kid who asked to be surprised with Christmas and birthday gifts, but always seemed to figure them out before the opening festivities. I was also given a really nice surprise 30th birthday party, but had an inkling prior to walking in as to what was awaiting me. For some reason I had never gotten a good surprise through my early adulthood, but it definitely wasn't due to lack of effort.

But there was one time in my life when I was completely taken aback. The good news was that it was welcomed and heartwarming, but one that I didn't see coming in any way, shape, or form. The result was pure joy from deep in the heart and a moment in time that I will never forget.

The year was 2002 and the venue was the Pick family reunion at Lake Okoboji. The well planned event was over the Fourth of July weekend. My mom's family (nine Elmer Pick kids and their many children) had taken the lake by storm. We were enjoying all the family festivities planned by Aunt Barbara, hostess extraordinaire. Barbara had a beautiful lake house where she hosted our many meals and gatherings. Our first official reunion day kicked off on the Fourth with a one-man band, dancing, and a lot of beach attire (lei necklaces, grass skirts, and umbrella drinks). We were enjoying boat rides and great company amongst the beautiful scenery of the very clear, blue water Okoboji lake.

As we caught up as cousins, nieces...uncles, we shared that feeling that all close families know; the experience of not seeing each other for years, but feeling the connection of never being apart. As cousins, we were always tight growing up. We ran wild on the farm as children and then later shared the affection of our grandparents in their home in town. Although the span of years between us was many, there was a special connection that we have always shared. Visibly missing from the cousin crew was my brother, Mark. Living in Vegas and busy with a young family and demanding job, it was impractical and impossible for Mark's family to make the trip. Destination Okoboji included both planes and automobiles. This complication added time and money to travel plans which didn't fit well into the schedule and size of Mark's crew. Although we all understood, we missed Mark dearly.

Mark (age 5) driving the tractor with Grandpa Doc
Mark was one of the oldest Pick grandsons; working many summers side by side with his uncles and grandpa on the farm. A farm boy at heart, we all thought he would be the next generation to take over the farm operations. All of those years of hard work on the Pick farm created a special bond that Mark shared with the family. The funny life anomaly was that not only did he not end up on the farm, but his adulthood home was in Las Vegas, Nevada. No one would have expected our sweet hardworking farm boy to call the fast life of Vegas his home. Far from the Vegas strip, the Pick cousins came together; except for Mark. The hole was felt by all of us.

But life and the reunion went on.  Mom and I wore grass skirts.  My boys sported their Grandma-made red/white/blue Independence Day outfits.  After attempting the limbo with the kids, I ran into the house to refresh my blended concoction with the sounds of Jimmy buffet in the background.  I grabbed my pup, Harry, on my way in as he looked a bit lost with the crowd swarming around him.  As I enjoyed the company of my many aunts in the kitchen, I heard my name. The voice was familiar, but I was confused as to which uncle or cousin it belonged to.  I turned and to my complete dismay I was face to face with Mark. Confusion swirled in my mind while no words left my mouth.  I was speechless.  And then I cried. As we hugged, Mark cried too.  I do remember that no one in the room spoke a word. The aunts just looked on; crying and smiling at the same time. Soon my parents came in to see what was going on in the kitchen. They were as shocked as I was. The hole was filled. Mark came home. The picture below was snapped as my mom reacted (and then son reacted to mom) to this sweet unanticipated surprise. Soon all of our extended family were were sharing our joyful sentiment in welcoming Mark home.

Tears of joy
As it turned out, Mark was as sad as we were in his inability to join us.  His ever resourceful and big-hearted wife, Meg, helped orchestrate a "doable" option for their family...a quick trip that included only Mark.  So they booked his flight and our Iowa farm boy left the lights of Vegas to embrace his cornfield roots of home. As they booked and planned his trip late in the game, not a word was spoken to anyone on his impending arrival. And with pure joy and surprise, we welcomed him with opened arms. It was a weekend none of us will ever forget; full of everything water, guitar playing on the beach, and lots of laughs over bonfires on stories of cousins growing up together. The picture above was snapped of Mark and I once we were able to compose ourselves after my initial surprise. And, yes, that is the look of pure joy. 


Cousins together again

"Other things may change, but we start and end with family." ~ Anthony Brandt







No comments:

Post a Comment