Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lessons in NYC: Day 4

(This entry is part IV of a series of blogs on my NYC adventures. Initial blog post is http://bit.ly/ODK6SE)

My taxi to dinner at Wong

Since Day 3 ended a bit late for me, I need to first tell the "end of the story". After choosing a bike cab vs. the traditional yellow model, I met an old friend, Tom, and a new friend, Kopin, at the wonderful Wong restaurant in the West Village. The ride was awesome and the dinner company, spectacular. It had been a few years since I had seen my running buddy of past, so it was great to catch up. I loved hearing about his preparation and now coaching others for the New York Marathon and his runs through Central Park. Yes, running and living in NYC was quite different than the life Tom led in Omaha. It was nothing short of fascinating to hear about daily NYC living from his and Kopin's perspective.


Dinner with Dr. Hansen



I often experience those "small world" events that are very common in Omaha. We all know them; running into your neighbor's friend at a concert or a client's son at a ballgame. I didn't expect this to happen in New York City, population 8,244,910. But as we enjoyed our dinner conversation, we quickly stumbled on a funny coincidence. As Kopin asked about my hotel and training headquarters in hopes of giving me some good restaurant recommendations, he started getting more pointed in his questions. As I described the building I walked to each morning, the security and the 19th floor dwellings; we quickly figured out that Kopin worked in the same building, but on the 6th floor. Of all of the buildings in NYC, what are the chances??? So after great food, wine, and local recommendations; it was time for this girl to get back to The Muse. This time I went for the enclosed yellow taxi. I did this based on three new rules given to me by my NYC friends: 1) only take "yellow" taxi cabs...no more unmarked vans, 2) no buying food that include "meat" from street vendors, but egg and bread were fine, and 3) Central Park was safe as long as it was light and it would be a shame if I didn't get a run in while in the big city. Perfect...got it, guys.


Lobster egg foo young...delicious!
Central Park? Great plan and officially now on my list. Day 4 began just like Days 1-3. Coffee in the lobby, out the hotel doors, and right turn to the street vendor on the corner of 46th and 6th. I followed my new simple rules that included an egg sandwich from my favorite street vendor. Today he definitely recognized me as both a "regular" and an out-of-towner. After asking me why I was in town, he went on to tell me that he was an accountant and had worked for a big company in his prior life. It was way too stressful, so he set up his own food stand instead. Nice! Note to self; ask him his name tomorrow.

 Today's training was very intense and deep, but well presented. I can't remember the last time I have devoted my laser focus for such an expansive period of time. I am honestly worrying a bit about the onset of adult ADHD. I have also come to the conclusion that holding me up in a training session for 40+ hours within a one week period has the resulting sensation similar to a cat released from a cage. As I will explain later, to the misfortune of my instructor and another trainee; they got to experience this first-hand tonight at the close of The Muse Happy Hour.

I walked two miles to Central Park amidst tens of thousands of my closest New Yorker friends until I reached the lower loop of Central Park. And although I have been there before, this afternoon it exceeded expectations. I was a runner among locals. The scenery was beautiful and there was a heart and soul that could be felt in this park. Ball fields and play grounds were full of activity. Parents were enjoying the afternoon with their tots and lovers were walking hand-in-hand. I could definitely feel the pulse of this Central Park community while enjoying my own exercise and people-watching. Thanks for the recommendation, Tom and Kopin. I will put it high on my NYC experience list.

View on my run <3
After a brisk walk back to the hotel (5:56...four minutes to spare before the end of happy hour!), I was thrilled to find that some local beer made the happy hour list...perfect after a run on a summer day. With my refreshing beer in hand, I recognized one of my instructors and a fellow trainee enjoying their own cocktails and conversation. I quickly joined in and reintroduced myself (in case they didn't recognize me in messed up hair and sweaty running attire). I am unsure whether it was the heat or lack of social interaction during the day that overtook me, but I am quite sure I never stopped talking. And I can talk fast. There is no doubt about that. The look on their faces resembled a tad of shock, sprinkling of intrigue, and a bit of fear. In the valuation world, we would scientifically weigh the three; but in my professional judgment I would say they mostly looked scared. While enjoying the beer, I shared no less than three stories in fifteen minutes that would take a normal human being an hour to tell. But the beer and air conditioning did finally cool me off and I then heard about their families and accounting journeys before bidding them farewell and proceeding to the elevator.

So now I sit back at The Muse, enjoying a beer at the hotel bar while pounding on the keys of my laptop.  It is 11:00 and time for bed. My last night in the Big Apple was glorious. I met up with some old friends, Steve and Missy Utesch. We have a long friendship and history. Their son, Nick, is a long-time friend as well. He epitomizes all of what is the heart of NYC. Although young in years, Nick came seeking what New York offered him 20+ years ago and has enjoyed great success and happiness. I love the Utesch's and can't wait to write about my friends. They are deserving of a special entry. Good night, New York... 

Central Park at 5:00 p.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment