Monday, July 23, 2012

Lessons in NYC: Day 1

My early morning commute a bit different from Nebraska this morning
Per Webster's dictionary:


re·gret/riˈgret/
 

Verb:
Feel sad, repentant, or disappointed over (something that has happened or been done, esp. a loss or missed.



I don't like how that sounds. The term, regret, is a bit of a downer, so let's go with “new opportunity”. Now that sounds much better; I like opportunity.  So...although I didn't travel abroad nor did I live the big city life in my early adulthood, I have been given a late "opportunity" to enjoy a life full of travel (much better for a "cup is half full" gal, wouldn't you say?).

Let me give you a little background into my journey from college to the working world (with no “regret”…of course). I graduated from college on a Saturday and started my accounting career as a W-2 employee in Omaha, Nebraska the following Monday morning. I had always dreamed of taking on the corporate world while living in a city like Chicago or New York. My vision included a wardrobe full of the best suits (I had a worn earmarked Spiegal catalog to prove it), a spectacular leather briefcase, and a commute to work that would be a short walk from my fictional downtown apartment. But this was not meant to be. With no regrets <sigh>, I have lived the dream in Omaha for the past 23 years with a life rich in family, friends, community, and a successful career. I skipped the early years of sowing my oats in the big city to instead enjoy the good life of the Midwest for my entire professional career. But somewhere deep in me there lives a longing for this fanciful short-term existence.

This year I decided to take a big leap that afforded me a late-blooming opportunity. Although short in duration, I will be living the life of NYC for five days. And I can't lie, I feel a bit giddy as I take on this venture. I am here for ABV (Accredited in Business Valuation) training. I won't get into the details of this credential, other than to share with you that this is the first major test that I have taken and studied for since my CPA exam twenty-two years ago. Perhaps that's why I feel a bit young at heart with my stay here. It is definitely a flashback to my 22 year-old self, preparing for the big test fresh out of college.

Starting my career young has afforded me the benefit of flexibility in travel while in mid-life. I very much enjoy seeing new sights and spending time in places that I have never visited before. And there is a benefit to doing this later in life as opposed to at an early age (namely money and better appreciation for all things wondrous, simple, and beautiful). Of all my travels this summer, I was most looking forward to my week in the Big Apple. Although most my age would find this trip a colossal inconvenience, I was fascinated with the prospect of living what I missed in the past. I will own that I am "playing house" a bit as I study like a youngster and treat my hotel room like a mini-studio apartment. So this week I will document my travels in a daily log…thank-you for reading and humoring me.

Day 1

My travels began with a midnight arrival to NYC LaGuardia Airport last night.  As I waited in the long (very long) taxi line, a gentleman asked if I was going downtown. With my answer of Times Square, he offered me a $35 cab ride. I followed this purported cab driver with another taxi line occupant to an unmarked mini-van in short-term parking (Leslie, does this sound vaguely familiar to my buying fake Coach purses out of a mini-van in an alley during our NYC girls trip?). After a soft, but direct reprimand from Garrett on my cab choice; I am now in tune to my Midwest naïve nature and will be more selective in my personal alignments. Although bedtime was 1:00 a.m. for me, I was safe in bed at my temporary quarters at the Muse Hotel; a mere block from Times Square. As a side note, Times Square is a bit like the Vegas strip. It was hopping at midnight; full of all age groups including those in strollers.

Although one would think I would be a weary traveler, I was excited when my alarm went off this morning. I felt like I was starting an adventure. It also helped that I find the training and content of my classes fascinating.  If you don’t grow, you become stagnant (another Garrett line). So in my quest to not grow stagnant, I dragged my butt out of bed and made the half mile trek from the Muse Hotel to the AICPA headquarters for the first day of my intense training class (picture above). A walk in the door gave me my first clue that Dorothy was far from Kansas. After providing my ID and explanation for my visit (felt a bit like an interrogation from the CIA), I was allowed to the next security point where I provided my ID yet again and my newly acquired access card. Whew…finally to the elevators. Just when I thought I drew the “skip jail” card, I have a new dilemma. There was no up/down button for the elevators. Confused, I asked a security officer stationed to the side on my options. He either ignored me or didn’t hear me.  FYI…you type in the floor number of your destination….elevator efficiency management (never knew there was such a thing).  The lady dressed in black (does everyone in NYC wear black??) sounded exasperated as she explained this to me.

I made it to my assigned conference room along with the 49 other class participants. No coffee. The pots were dry. Okay, that’s a deal breaker for me. But there was no going back out to Starbucks for Sandy Lane. I couldn’t fathom getting through security again without missing half of my coveted first day training class. So I bucked it up until the pots were eventually refilled. As a side note, New Yorkers generally give off a feeling of being inconvenienced rather than conveying customer service.  Regardless, the pot was full for the rest of the day and I was happy.

The training was above expectations for me. I wrote down my quote “If you don’t grow, you become stagnant” at the top of my notebook and gave the instructors my full attention. My 49 comrades are an eclectic crowd. All wanted to be there as this training isn’t for the faint of heart and private, public, and international business leaders were all represented. The man sitting to my left was from Puerto Rico. He was flow charting the entire presentation on his I-Pad throughout the day. It is an interesting study in human nature on how we are all wired differently and learn in different ways. My day was full of using a variety of colored highlighters (purple, lime green and orange) and scribbling notes in my book in all capital letters.

We were told that although it was understood that phone calls were essential, they were only allowed in phone booths. Yes, you heard it right…phone booths! Now I was totally feeling a flashback moment as I stared at the land line phone in a booth, no less. But I am a rule follower and wanting to be laser focused, I followed the rules. I left my typical technology interruptions of I-Pad and laptop back at the Muse. My I-Phone was tucked away in my purse until the designated breaks. Recognition for my efforts came full circle when the Puerto Rican man next to me complimented me with “you ask good questions”. <Sandy beams>. Then the younger CPA to the right of me commented “you’ve obviously done this before”. <Sandy is now radiating>. Laser focus continues.

After a day of note taking and colored highlighters, the session closed. So now what does a solo gal in the city do next? Back to my suito-studio apartment (a.k.a. Muse Hotel)….a workout, a little book reading, and a phone call to my boyfriend (all sounding incredibly 20something stuff, doesn’t it?). Past a call and text message exchanges with my kids, I was now a free agent.
View of my hotel and restaurant of the night

Dinner choices were many, but I settled on O’Brien’s Irish Restaurant next door. A Stella and some authentic Irish shepard’s pie topped my great first day as I type this entry feeling very content. The rain lightly hits the sidewalks as I look down from my outdoor balcony perch at the Irish Pub. I will keep typing away as I enjoy the luxury of a cold tap beer and the tranquility of my city living…at least for the week.  And I am sure a week will be just enough time before I am ready to head back home J


View as I close out Day 1 (Stella and shepard's pie to right of computer ...)



3 comments:

  1. “Starting my career young has afforded me the benefit of flexibility in travel while in mid-life.” – This is great; Sandy :) Starting your career at an early age is a big advantage, especially for your own personal development. The best thing about this is that you get to learn a lot early on. You get to learn more information about accounting, and be able to become extremely knowledgeable about the field as time goes by. Anyway, congratulations on your memorable travel! You deserve to have some time off from all the hard work you’ve done.

    Jeanie Yearsley

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s really great that you started thinking about your career early on in life. You'll have a bigger and better opportunity for you to explore and discover what works best for you. Likewise, it’s also during your younger years that you’re too eager to achieve your sense of fulfillment and happiness, and with that, you will really try your best to attain it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right Sandy, starting your career at an early age will help you to pay your debts earlier since you will advance up the corporate ladder faster and have the financial freedom that everyone dreams about. To do this you would have to live a debt free life. Pay your taxes regularly and start your own business. Saving a portion of your earnings would be good, play everything by priority by paying the most important ones first so that you can stay out of debt.

    ReplyDelete